This is the end result of my third ‘Final Major Project’ and I have mixed feelings about it. I am very disappointed in myself that I did not get more of it finished, if not completed but considering the limitations, I am happy with what I achieved. It may be a case of trying to run before I can walk but taking into account the length of the song, the complexity of the storyboard, the inadequate puppets and the amount of time that I had to complete it all, on my own, as well as two other animation projects, I can look at what I have and be happy with it.
Whilst the project didn’t go particularly well, it has been very useful for me. It’s given me a chance to explore the medium in a way that I never had before but has also made me realise that I don’t need to aim big to be successful, at least for the moment; I believe my time would be better spent on developing my skills on smaller projects where I can experiment and learn. One of the main lessons I’ve learned is on character design and that I should consider functionality – how the puppet will move and interact with things, something that will become even more important if I continue to create inhuman creatures.
No matter what the outcome of this project, I know that I have learned from it. If nothing else, it has been legitimate practice and I feel that my animation skills have improved.