After fabricating everything it was time to work out how to translate it on camera. I had my storyboard so I knew what shots I wanted to get and I took some time to frame the scene exactly how I wanted. After I was happy with the composition I turned my attention to lighting, I wanted a soft, warm light without too much shadow obscuring the detail of the puppets and after some experimentation, I achieved what I was looking for and am happy with the results.
To ease the animation process I only had the character that was actually in shot on the set, this simply gave me better access to the character that I had to animate.
Here’s a shot of my set mid-animation, it shows the set up of both my lighting and the camera. Out of shot is the laptop that the camera is connected to, running dragonframe which is the software I use to animate.